Cleaning the house after a flood is both serious and very important task. Thorough cleaning can prevent further damage to the property, to reduce the likelihood of future damage and to prevent excessive aging building.
Before you start cleaning, open all doors and windows of the house. Make sure there is good ventilation. Put on your gloves and waterproof clothing (if available). Note that forward gases are toxic, and some of them are flammable. Read the instructions on the labels of preparations.
Cleaning the exterior
- Clean with non-abrasive cloths, rags and brushes. Rinse well.
- Clean all walls against mildew. Use towels and products for mold.
- Replace broken windows (if any). This will secure the thermal insulation of the house.
- If there are windows that can not open due to flooding with silt have to move them and clean thoroughly. Try to open them gently pressing on the inside corners of the movable window sashes. Do not press too hard. If you can not move them by simply clicking, try lifting them slightly and then press.
- If wooden windows are too damaged by the water, replace them.
- If you can not open the door to one of the premises, do not press too hard. It is possible that the inner side to have a sediment. If possible, try to enter through a window or in an adjacent room.
- Before attempting to open the doors to see if they are locked.
- Do not attempt to straighten, varnishing, painting or repair the door before it is completely dry.
- To clean the door you can prepare a solution of 5 tablespoons of baking soda to 3 liters of water. Mix well.
- Wallpapers that are absorbed much water must be removed.
- If the wallpaper is not washable, but you still have to clean them, use cleaner for wallpaper.
- If the wallpaper is washable, you can clean them with a solution of mild soap solution and water. You must use two mushrooms. With the first soapy sponge and rub, and the second rinse well with clean water. Work fast to be able to wash the hills before it soaked.
- If there is mold on the wallpaper, you can remove it with a detergent containing talc or other special preparation. After cleaning and then drying the wallpaper have to go again, this time with a dry cloth.
Walls and ceilings
- Check that the walls and ceilings are still equal. If not, you may need to check the structure behind them for the displacement or deformation.
- If the surface of the walls and ceilings notice signs of mold or dirt should be cleaned with a damp cloth.
- If there are stains on the walls, you can paint them with fresh paint, but only after they are completely dry.
- If you notice damp plaster, better to remove it than to try to clean it or save. Restore plaster with fresh material.
- If carpet has stains should paint the walls, you can simply throw them away. These contaminants are removed very difficult. So much dirt are usually associated with many bacteria. Wrap in plastic and dispose of them in an appropriate place.
- If carpets are small in size, you can take them to a professional cleaning or wash them in the washing machine if it is collected.
Paneling and Wood
- Thoroughly scrub the entire wooden surface with a stiff brush. Use water and detergent.
- If you have difficulty removing stains, use a solution of baking soda and water. After cleaning, rinse with clean water and allow the wood to dry completely.
- Do not attempt to straighten crooked planks or parquet before they are fully dry.
- Remove any rugs or runners on hardwood floors, so they can dry completely.
- If there is still pent-up water, remove it immediately with cloth.
- Once the floor is completely dry, make sure you do not need restore or enhance any nails.
- Small deformation can be removed by planing or sanding.
- If you damage your wood floor is very serious, you may need to remove it and make a new one.
- If your ceramic floors in a wooden structure, most probably it will be to remove the tiles to dry or repair wooden frame and then retake the tiles. The plates themselves also need to be processed, so that no mold or moisture remain on them.
- It is possible that only some of the tiles are loose and do not lie well on the base. This is due to the effect of water on the tile adhesive. Remove problematic tiles and set them again with fresh material.
- If the insulation of your house (whether internal or external) is wet, it is very important to remove wet areas and installing a new one.
For best results and to ensure that you would not drastically reduce the life of your house, it is recommended to contact a professional cleaning company. For a relatively low budget, these companies will offer quality cleaning, demolition (if necessary) and transports waste to landfill suitable for the purpose.